Saturday, March 6, 2010

The "Righteous Human"...an oxymoron??

I had the best evening yesterday! We had dinner with some dear friends who are moving today to Kansas City. This was my Dad's best friend; and some very special spiritual mentors in my life. Anyway, we joined them and a number of their friends (who were characters in my life way back when I was just a child) and just had such wonderful conversations! My Dad’s friend (we’ll call him Hunter) is THE MOST real "man of God" (pastor/writer) I have ever been blessed to know and I so want to identify the things that set he and his wife apart. I mean....he is so true to others and himself--and I find it so refreshing that he's so uninhibited and can just be human with a spiritual twist! :)

I think that it is this: Hunter and his wife both have such a strong belief that 1) there is a God; 2) God's messages and promises provided to us are real and true; 3) God is loving and forgiving and supportive of all of us when we allow him to be; 4) that God will reveal himself THROUGH the two of them--and not because they are "living righteously"; but because they are displaying their GENUINE love for people--all people! And those who are around them even for a short time can see it...and it's a miracle in itself, I think.

But what sets them apart from others I know who also radiate a genuine love for people and an indefinable joy, is that Hunter and his wife have found a very simple way to signal to those who are watching them that their joy and love is channeling through them from a higher power. They are not afraid to use God's name. Every now and then they may interject a simple praise to God in their conversation. But not an "Amen" or "Hallelujah"...it's more like a "Well, you know, God told me a long time ago that I needed to straighten up and fly right..." or "When we finally sold our house we knew God was saying 'Okay, you've been waiting for this; and it's time!'"

They are simple gestures; indications of where their radiance is generated from. But somehow it comes out so casually--but with such honesty and genuineness--that the message comes across with ease. It's understood; not smeared in your face.

Man! I want to be like that!! THAT'S (in my opinion) how we're supposed to live. They have set the standard in my book for what it means to "let your Light shine for all to see."

Thoughts to Ponder…
Do the Christians of the world (the righteous, powerful Christian leaders in churches everywhere) put too much pressure on Spiritual leaders to be more “righteous” than “human”?

No comments:

Post a Comment