Saturday, March 6, 2010

What's your focus?

I want to find the unique and Godly balance between revealing my raw humanity without apology, permission or regret, and spiritually leading.

Some may look at this statement and think "She wants to be a Hypocrite?" No…but I want to be "real." I don’t want to place humans on the pedestal instead of God; and I don’t want to be on a pedestal in place of God.

I want people to see that my emphasis is on God; but that I’m a human being…nothing special…no better than others…but perfectly capable of loving and living Him. I am not happy to see people in churches who become focused on members, money, power, influence, prominence, sustainability, control, dominance, righteousness, image, and means; but then again, people are human…and humans will always fail.

We're human—goofing up is what we do! We screw up often, pee in our own cheerios, and fall short each day. Our faith will never be fruitful if we hold one human to higher expectations than others so we can slap a label on it and call it a "man of god". No wonder "Christianity" has created such distorted perceptions for some. Some people have been taught by other Christians to keep their eyes on the church; on the pastor--and not on the message.

The message:
God I have heard about you. God, I am in awe of the good I have seen you do. God, continue your good works in my time.
Derived from Habakkuk 3:2

My challenge:
To keep my focus, as a Christian, on what I hear, see, know and believe God can and will do; and on my prayer that He will continue to reveal himself now and forever; using me, calling me and directing me vividly.

Thoughts to ponder: God has many titles that all too often lose their "punch" due to casual use. But to examine closer....
As Savior--he rescues
As Deliverer--he gets results
As Redeemer--he forgives and renews
As Master--he assumes authority
As Bread of Life--he provides
As Almighty--he exerts divine strength
As The Light--he directs and guides
As Father--he nurtures and protects
As The One--he is the focus
As The Healer--he consoles and mends
As The Beneficent--he provides relief and compassion

It seems to mean so much more when I focus on the definition; not the overused titles! Okay--so jump in the deep end with me for a minute:

If these definitions are accurate, is He really all of these things ALL the time??

No comments:

Post a Comment